Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings

This recipe is pinterest test kitchen tested, mother and mother-in-law approved! For the sake of full disclosure, I have to admit that I pinned this one quite awhile back and I have made this recipe a few times. It is always a hit, but also always comes out  little differently than the time before. I've made it for the hub's when it was cold outside, for my mom while she was recovering from knee surgery, and this week I took the leftovers to my mother-in-law who, in some strange cultural confusion, is the only one in her family who likes chicken and dumplings. All of them have enjoyed this dish, and, GET THIS, MY MOM asked ME for the recipe after she tried it. Maybe you don't understand why that's a big deal, but trust me, as the daughter of a a home economics major, this speaks volumes.

So here you go- I definitely recommend that you try this one!
Link to Pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/103793966381579448/
Link to Actual Recipe: http://eatathomecooks.com/2009/07/homemade-chicken-and-dumplings-its-easy-really.html

Original recipe with my adaptations:

about 3 cups cooked chicken**
6-8 cups chicken broth
2 cups flour
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 tsp. baking powder
salt to taste (I just shake some in)
about a cup of milk
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender.  Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork  until the dough forms a ball. 
If your dough is too flaky or not forming a ball, add tiny splashes of milk until it sticks!
Heavily flour a work surface.  You’ll need a rolling pin (or some adaptation of a rolling device) and something to cut the dumplings with.  I used a rubber knife but a pizza cutter also works!  
Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin.  Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2″x2″.  It’s okay for them not to be exact.  Just eye ball it.  Some will be bigger, some smaller, some shaped funny.
To cook them, bring the broth to a boil.  Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them.  The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth.  Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they not doughy tasting.  Add the cooked chicken to the pot and you’re done!




** My favorite way to get the "cooked chicken" step taken care of is to use chicken breasts in the crock pot. I throw them in (sometimes frozen, sometimes thawed) with some celery tops, chopped onion and whatever seasoning I'm feeling (season salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, whatever). I add water to cover the chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4. Shreds with a fork and you can also use the liquid as homemade chicken broth!
In the crockpot- just strain out the veggies and you've got natural chicken broth! WAY better than the store bought!
Ingredient Availability-8
Pretty simple, basic baking ingredients+ chicken and broth
Ease on the Waist Line-6
I don't think you can really call anything with "dumplings" in the title healthy, but it's soup, so that's not that bad :)
Prep Mess-4
Anytime you have to heavily flour a surface, there's gonna be a mess! And this requires a lot of kitchen gadgets (pastry cutter, pastry knife, rolling pin etc.)
Overall Difficulty-Medium
I've found that overall, making dough is not the easiest thing to do, but this recipe is definitely do-able for most!
Overall Taste- 9
This is a delicious taste of home....I love it when I'm sick, in cold weather, or anytime! Good ole, traditional comfort food!
Hubby Rates It-9
He is always game for this recipe!
Ease of Clean Up-4
Again, lots of gadgets to clean up, but worth it!







No comments:

Post a Comment