Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Roasted Okra

As we speak, I'm currently cooking up another pinteret recipe to review and share but I had a few minutes to burn so thought I would write and quick and simple review of a quick and simple recipe: Roasted Okra.

My Pinterest account is not allowing me to view my boards right now (there's a conspiracy theory in the back of my mind that someone at Pinterest is trying "Zuckerberg" my blog idea), so I did a search and found it floating around on someone else's Pinterest space...
Link to Actual Recipe:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-okra/#

Recipe:

Ingredients

  • 18 fresh okra pods, sliced 1/3 inch thick
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper, or to taste

Direction
Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.








Always wash you veggies first!!










Accuracy of Recipe- 10
It's hard to mess up olive and salt and pepper to taste....
Chop off the stems


Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper (or do it as the recipe states...do as I say, not as I do!)

Ingredient Availability-10
I like that it used very few ingredients and I found fresh, locally grown okra at the store. It's in season, get it while it lasts!
Ease on the Waist Line-10
Veggie- Good, Olive Oil- Good. Paleo and human diet friendly.
Prep Mess-9
Pretty much toss it in a bowl then put it in a pan
Overall Difficulty-EASY
Again, Okra, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste...if you can't do this one, you might want to retire from kitchen experiments and try watching Top Chef Masters for your foodie fix.
Overall Taste- 7
I really like okra, and this tasted like good okra. I do have to say it is not "better than fried" or "just like fried" as claimed...come on people, you're not going to get okra better than fried!! Who are they kidding? Deep South folks, can I get an Amen?
Hubby Rates It-8
He liked it but would have preferred it a little crunchier (my fault, I didn't want it too crisp so took it out of the oven a little early.)
Ease of Clean Up-8

Overall, this is a great, healthy side dish to make while in season- if you really like crispier, make sure you use a roasting pan and leave in until it reaches desired crunchiness (but before it becomes "blackened"). 



More later....back to my current experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment